Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Back and Forth

One of the things I said last New Years [link here] was that I wanted to draw more, and I have, and the usual questions, doubts and joys have arisen. Basically I seem to go in  different directions at once; my love of the minimal and my love of the expressive So now I am wondering if there isn't more in common than I realize. So my hope is for more syntheses, more wholeness. And one of the ways I'll do that is by going through all my old notebooks starting with art college and see if I can sense a different pattern, or identify the treads that I am wanting to weave. Hello minimally expressive.


Stack of old notebooks

6 comments:

  1. I love the stack. Reminds me of a stack of personal journals that I tossed out several years ago (30+ years worth) when I began downsizing my life by 80 percent. Now that I am doing book arts, I have several times lusted over the 8" square hard covers of most of those journals, to recover and recycle. Oh well.
    I love reading your blog -- I don't know whether I've commented before. I have a local friend also named Liz Davidson. Happy New Year, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, I love that you have a friend named Liz Davidson, now you have two! I am terrified about throwing out old notebooks ect, actually my husband says I am a hoarder, but I'm getting better only because I need space to work and sometimes can't find my work tables for all the stuff on them.

      Delete
  2. I love minimal...I think the love of nature in the garden is also minimal in a Japanese kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie, as I read my gardening books and seed catalogues on this cold blustery day I have to keep reminding myself to keep the garden minimal, at least as far as maintenance goes. Very seductive reading, at least at the moment it's only reading and dreaming.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely. Hello minimally expressive ....... love the idea. Love that you have found a direction for this year Liz. All I know is I want to DRAW. Big drawings .... smaller books. Haven't really thought it through yet. I will watch your blending minimal and expressive with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I love exploring. Looking forward to your Big Drawings and small books!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.