Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reading

I have spent the last 4 days in sloth and torpor; and I love it. After Christmas and before New Years has to be one of my favourite times; with luck I spend it reading, on the sofa, in front of the fire. This year was a feast and some lovely coincidences. I started with a lovely and charming book by Donia Bijan, "Maman's Homesick Pie" followed by a short typescript by my mother in law, "A Trip To Persia" [1971].  My mother in law happens to be an amazing woman who turned 100 years old last fall and so it was great fun to then read "The 100 Year Old Man, who climbed out the window and disappeared", [Jonas Jonasson] one of the funniest murder mysteries I have read. And I keep dipping in and out of "Paintings on Paper, Josef Albers in America". So many friends have talked about this book and it is gorgeous. Then I might do an essay from "Madness, Rack, and Honey" [Mary Ruffle], then a few more liquorice allsorts,[ discretely hidden behind the stack of books].


A lovely stack of christmas reading

12 comments:

  1. Josef Albers. I'd love to have a look at that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrific Roberta, there is a luminous quality to the works on paper, plus all sorts of notes written on them. And i love the fact that he never mixed paint, used it straight from the tube. Hard to believe.

      Delete
  2. I loved the 100 year old man - look out for the film Quartet !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rosie, now John's reading it and loving it. Should make a fun movie.

      Delete
  3. Like you I love this week at the end of the year, for the same reason: I too am on a sofa with a pile of books (no liquorice allsorts though!) - and the laptop nearby. So I have just put the 100 year old man onto my Kindle - thanks. Happy progress through your pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga, the pile is diminishing rapidly as are the liquorice allsorts, now the other part starts where you and your friends exchange books and it starts again. Enjoy your time!

      Delete
  4. next chrissy/new year period I hope I get to indulge in books for the sheer joy of it.... given that my research exegesis is due for submission in a few months time, the only reading I'm doing is stuff related by my higher degree..... sigh...... that albers book sounds delish.... (ps happy new year to you liz!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Ronnie, you are almost there, good luck with all the reading and writing! And the Albers is delish. Maybe you can sneak in a few treats between the slogging, refresh your palate so to speak. Good Luck and all the best for 2013.

      Delete
  5. Happy reading, Liz, and a very happy 2013 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Noella, it's been a hugely enjoyable vacation. Wishing you the best 2013!

      Delete
  6. Is there anything more delicious Liz than a pile of Christmas books, waiting to be read, explored and devoured? I have the 100 year old man in my pile and am looking forward to it...Go well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Fiona, books are the best Christmas presents ever! And wishing you both a wonderful 2013; healthy, happy and creative!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.