Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Minimalism


The dominant ethos of my art collage days was minimalism, defined as work that set out to expose the essence, essentials or identity of a subject through eliminating all non-essential forms, features or concepts. And like any earnest student I embraced them fervently. These principals guided me for the first 10 years as young artist, mixed in with a dollop or two of conceptualism, add a drop of Arte Povera, etcetera, etcetera. Well you can see where this is going; a mishmash. But I still love and honor the core of minimalism, the search for the essence of the "thing". While I was preparing for the exhibition last summer, this was the guiding principle in the work; to strip away, lay bare, to reveal somehow the essence of the garden. An impossible task, but thrilling to try. Some of the photos I rejected using for the show as being to bare, to abstract; but now, I am re thinking that idea. I'll call these The Minimal Garden.
Tree Peony 11

6 comments:

  1. très sensible, sensuel, de magnifiques images....a lovely garden with intime perfume...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer, here's to hoping it will be!

    Hi Rosie, thanks. I love how the simple things can be so moving.

    Anna, thank-you

    And thank-you Denise, your words are poetry

    Thanks Fiona, it's great so get such positive feedback on these minimal images, a new way to explore and with my world about to turn white, timely.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.