Sunday, November 13, 2011

Building Bridges

My x-acto knife and I have become good friends over the past couple of days as I cut out more and more letters, and better yet, not my fingers. Because I am trying to use both the positive and negative shape of each letter, and keep the negative shape page whole, the process is definitely trial and error and tiny pieces of scotch tape. Must say that some of the mistakes look great but I really want all the letters to hang together, which is where the bridges come in as I connect white spaces. In the 1st photo you can see that I have finally gotten all the letters to connect. In the lower left photo is the page they are cut from [the negative shapes], and the lower right are some of the trial and errors.

3 comments:

  1. looks like painstaking work.. have you found the 'electric' exacto knife?.. I do not have one but I have seen it in the craft store.. you plug it in and the tip heats up.. and it cuts the plastic sheet like 'butter'..
    I had a wonderful trip to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi liz I've been away for a few days - lovely to catch up with where you're at with these! It must be painstaking, but satisfying. I think it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Donna, I will check it out. Am also thinking of laser cutting as I want the whole block of the book cut. So glad you had a good trip, I look forward to reading about it and seeing it reflected in your work.

    Thanks Fiona, it's fun to do, I am trying to stay away from the pain part. X-acto knives and I have a long history , not all of it pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.