Monday, April 21, 2014

A Mysterious Process

J. started a new painting last week and when I was in his studio the other day i asked if I could take some photos. The 1st month of a painting, well his, is such a mysterious process to me as he wanders about in the forest looking for the path or the light. I, of course am always wanting to tell him to stop here or there as I love the forms hinted at, this ambiguous state. I know that at this stage he is calibrating the palette for this painting, the forms have already been decided. For me it's a treat to come in each day and see the slow build up of the under painting, some days what I had loved yesterday is covered over, or barely there, but other places have begun to sing. BTW in the photos the painting is sideways, and in the 1st photo the studio lights are on, in the 2nd it's just natural light.

Under painting 1, © John Ballantyne, 2014

Under painting 2, © John Ballantyne, 2014

If you would like to see more of John's work please visit his web site   johnballantyneartist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.