Monday, February 11, 2013

One Step Back

It's always amazing to me how, when you don't know what to do next, you fall back to something that has worked in the past. Maybe it's just filling in time until the way forward is clearer. Ever since I worked on 'Big Blue' [link here] [and here] I have been fiddling about with different ways to have 2 curved sinuous lines. I'd swear I had a compass that you could put lead in both ends but haven't found it yet. A couple of months ago I borrowed J's flex curves. I forget what I wanted them for but finally had that eureka moment. This is on my thinnest paper, which I am not happy with. It's very soft so the tape pulls up a lot of fiber and when I use layers of fixative the paper and the charcoal become grainy and coarse.

Wavy Lines, charcoal, 24 x 39 in, 2013



6 comments:

  1. Well done!..You sure solved that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo, love your comment, made me laugh! Wouldn't it be great if it was solved....maybe not as I love to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Great curvy flexy lines - the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the straight lines were stronger and had more presence Liz - I don't feel as if you have resolved this yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought of it that way Rosie, I don't think of these drawings as resolved, more as explorations.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.