Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beauty in Mended

As I was putting away the huge movers blanket, that we use to wrap our works when we transport them, I was struck by its beauty. Not just in it's usefulness and practicality, but by the obvious care someone had taken in mending it. And I remembered first seeing Betty Goodwin's Tarpaulin works: where she had used old truck tarpaulins, hanging them and folding them. Somehow they were unspeakably poignant.
Movers Blanket
Betty Goodwin, Tarpaulin No. 2, 1974–1975 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. The Betty Goodwin piece reminds of your rope sculptures that I saw on one Canadian holiday when I was growing up! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alice, and especially thanks for the memory about the rope pieces. I had forgotten about them and JB and I had a good laugh about how monstrously heavy they were and all the problems hanging them. I had never thought of them in connection to Goodwin's work, so something to ponder. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.