Monday, January 20, 2014

Blue 1,2,3

Having only seen these works of Miró's in books I was stunned to see a photo that put their size into scale. Completed between 1958-61 these paintings "exemplify his distinct style; the artist uses sparse, uniform brushstrokes all across the canvas, giving the enormous expanse of the painting an even more empty feeling, which is emphasized even further by the distinguishable dreamy blue of the background. Bleu II is probably the painting in Miró’s portfolio that most definitively expresses his obsession with dreamscapes and vacant, infinite space. In 1958, during which he was working on the Bleu I, II, III triptych and similar abstract murals in Paris, he was quoted saying:  “The spectacle of the sky overwhelms me. I’m overwhelmed when I see, in an immense sky, the crescent of the moon, or the sun. There, in my pictures, tiny forms in huge, empty spaces. Empty spaces, empty horizons, empty plains—everything which is bare has always greatly impressed me.” [From Wikipedia]


"I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that shape music. ” 
- Joan Miró

"What I am looking for... is an immobile movement, something which would be the equivalent of what is called the eloquence of silence, or what St. John of the Cross, I think it was, described with the term 'mute music'. ” 
- Joan Miró

I feel the need of attaining the maximum of intensity with the minimum of means. It is this which has led me to give my painting a character of even greater bareness.” 
- Joan Miró



10 comments:

  1. Great post. Appreciate his thougts in combination with the paintings. And the size is impressive and important. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I love the Miró quotes, they are helpful to me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of these as minimal, amazingly blind my mind can be, thanks Connie.

      Delete
  3. Like you, I just love Miro's work and was thrilled to see these photos putting them into scale. Immense and breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also didn't realise how big these works of Miro are. Can't wait to see them live. I had a very similar reaction when I saw my first live Rothko's. A religious type of experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, I had the same reaction as you,and can't wait to see these. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. I had never read that Miro said he was looking for was "…the eloquence of silence". I have used that phrase for a few years in my work and just love it! It says so much, as do his paintings. But quietly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect isn't it, silence is such a rich place to explore, quietly of course…. thanks Fiona.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.