Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Altered Book

About a month ago I started reading Andrew Solomon's book Far from the Tree, and while I loved it, I wasn't making much progress. This book is thick and heavy and impossible to read in bed, where I get most of my reading done. So it sat languishing on the bedside table until I had that eureka moment. Cut it in half. Sounds simple but it took more that a few days to get up the courage to desecrate a book;  you never harm a book was how I was brought up. Loved the book, I highly recommend it; and the above method if you, like me, like to read in bed.

doing the dastardly deed

finished, and now held together with one of those great X elastics


4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Here's to desecration in the name of reading a good book. Still laughing at the thought of you doing this...I too was taught that it was sacrilege to harm a book. But this is just bloody brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, it's amazing how some rules are so hard to break, even when it makes sense to break them. This book would still be unfinished if I hadn't cut it in half, and that would have been a shame. It was a good read and he writes with such heart.

      Delete
  2. Far From the Tree is a big, heavy book and I, too, like to read in bed. Difficult. Unfortunately most of my reading is done with books from the public library, so there is no cutting them in half. But it is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how high your fines would be if you did this to a library book Susan, my fines were high enough before they put in a drop box. I still have a few books languishing about that I may try this method on!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.