Wednesday, October 16, 2013

At The Pond

This fall continues to amaze. Another day of golden light and while there is less color left in the trees, the colour  has dropped to the ground creating a wonderfully jewel toned carpet. The water lily leaves are changing their colors, tiny bugs have carved their marks on the leaves, pine needles create endless patterns on the surface of the water and I yesterday I re-read a wonderfully pithy poem of Mary Oliver's about going down to the shore, I'll just substitute pond for shore.


I GO DOWN TO THE SHORE
I go down to the shore in the morning
and depending on the hour the waves
are rolling in or moving out,
and I say, oh, I am miserable,
what shall—
what should I do? And the sea says
in its lovely voice:
Excuse me, I have work to do.
From A Thousand Mornings, Mary Oliver’s new collection. All rights reserved.





4 comments:

  1. So many years, so many decades, and I am always delighted anew by the changes of the seasons. Autumn especially brings so many beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Olga, and this fall has been so long and beautiful there has been more time to treasure the many beauties.

      Delete
  2. I love autumn best. Also love Mary Oliver. Your water lily leaves are beautiful -- I wonder whether they'd give off any color via eco dyeing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Connie, the purple/ magenta is an amazing colour, do you want me to save you some so that you can try?

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.