Monday, June 29, 2015

Making Space


A couple of weeks ago I walked into the studio and realized there was no room to work, no space, so I started to rip up most of the last couple of months of work; and in that tearing and ripping saw beautiful edges to the paper so started to lay down strips of paper, and then finally realized that I was recreating a way of working from the 1990's so I put all that in the recycling bin. My mantra being “Don’t repeat yourself”. And as I filled bag after bag of paper I looked around and realized more had to go, the walls full of ideas not yet realized, into the trash. I need space to work. The lovely thing about this tearing away is how what I had been working on was clearer now, not bright, but not just sensed. 

Ripping and tearing...hard to put those beautiful edges in the trash. 2015

Torn paper, 2015

No space to work, studio, June 2015



4 comments:

  1. What a brave decision. I admire how You're open to your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, I don't think bravery came into the decision making to get rid of the last few months work; a friend said it best yesterday "it is certainly a good thing (and as you said, necessary) to let go of the work if you feel it will not lead you to a productive place." I took quite a while to realize though.

      Delete
  2. the edges in the 90's are different to your edges now in 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right Mo Crow, everything else is, but I felt trapped, my feet in cement, and while my pride usually dictates that I rescue anything in the studio I've spent a long time with, it has been hugely pleasurable to have this clean out and it's prompted me to do more. Best part is how good the studio feels.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.