Tuesday, May 22, 2012

To Hot To Do Much

30 + degrees C. or over 90 degrees F. for the past few days, and I don't do heat well. I slow down, I doze. So I tend to garden early in the day and late in the day and the rest of the time has been spent on the sofa reading one of the best books I have come across this year, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It's wonderful. I can't bear to miss a word. I haven't read any historical fiction for years and I kept putting off reading this. Well what a gem. I may have to go out and buy the hardcover of her newest Bringing Up The Bodies, a continuation of the story and the swift downfall of Anne Boleyn. One of the fun parts of the book is that Holbein is in and out of Cromwells' house working on a portrait of him. Cromwell was not created Earl of Essex until 1540, so I don't know if this is the portrait talked about in the book or not. Maybe the title was added later. A fascinating man and a deeply pleasurable read.

Thomas Cromwell, Hans Holbein

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.